In the article "The Bravest Girl in the World" the main idea is about how a Pakistani girl named Malala Yousafzai didn't stop fighting for the right of girls, even after getting shot by the Taliban. This article talks about what Malala experiences at her life in school and the events' that takes place when she goes to school. Malala was interviewed and in the article, she described how the Taliban attacked her, and how this incident didn't let her stop from speaking out for girls' education in Pakistan. Also Malala was concerned for her father more than herself before the shooting, since her father would speak out against them. In the end of the article, it mentions that after the attack, Malala went through may surgeries and after that, she continued to work for education rights for girls, even though the Taliban was threating her again, for doing so. They also mentioned that Malala also became the youngest person ever nominated for Nobel Peace Prize.
This article makes me think and feel that if you have a aim or goal that you really want to achieve, then nothing stops you from achieving it, if you are brave and have the courage to face those problems. I had that thought when reading this article because, even after Malala got shot, she still fought for the rights of girls' education, because that was her goal, and she still didn't fear the Taliban, even after that incident took place. One way that shows that Malala was brave when achieving her goal is, "...I wondered what I would do. Maybe I'd take off my shoes and hit him, but then I'd think if I did that there would be no difference between me and a terrorist, It would be better to plead, "OK, shoot me, but first listen to me. What you are doing is wrong, I'm not against you personally, I just want every girl to go to school."" This shows that Malala is brave enough to risk her life to achieve her goal, since she is willing to give an explanation rather than defending herself. From these type of evidence, teaches me that you could achieve anything if you don't have the courage to face it. Another quote that was mentioned was "The terrorist thought that they would change my aims and stop my ambitions, but nothing changed in my life except this: Weakness, fear, and hopelessness died," this was said by Malala in her speech. This quote just shows that Malala didn't lose any courage after the shooting, and instead got weakness, fear, and hopelessness, out of her life.
This article also makes me feel mad about the incident that took place with Malala. I feel that way because I think Malala, should be actually be well treated then get blackmailed every time she speaks for girls. Like in the article it mentioned,"My friends say he fired three shots, one after another. The first went through my left eye socket and out under my left shoulder," this quote was said by Malala, in the interview. This quote makes me mad because instead of appreciating Malala's hard effort, they just tried to silence her, that would just harm them. Killing her would make a difference, but the Taliban's obviously don't consider it like that, since they think Malala is just a thing where they could damage once, and shut forever. The thing that provokes me is that the Taliban's acting shallow, even after all the explanations Malala and her father gave to them. Another thing that made me angry was that, "She continues to work for education rights for girls-even though the Taliban still threaten her life for doing so." This was said by Malala after she recovered from the shooting incident. This angers me because even after taking a wrong action of shooting Malala in the first place, they still blackmail her, instead of at least trying to understand that the voice she is raising for girls' isn't wrong.
After reading this article, it makes me realize that I am lucky to receive education. It make me realize that because many girls aren't receiving education right now, because of the fear of the Taliban's, that Malala is trying to diminish. I think this goal Malala is almost achieving, will not just prove the world that, "one child, one teacher, one book, and one pen can change the world", but will also prove that just some courage in a girl can also make a difference in many lives too.
Works Cited
"The Bravest Girl in the World." Upfront Magazine 9 Dec. 2013 n. pag. The New York Times. Web. 20 Jan. 2014
No comments:
Post a Comment