In the book, Climbing the Stairs By: Padma
Venkatraman has many aspects that create interest in the book to read. The main
character of this book is a girl named Vidya. She wanted to go to college, but
in that time World War II was going on where the British wanted to take over
India. This problem made Vidya’s life full of problems. One of the reasons is
because her father, who was a modern thinker, got beaten by the British police.
The result of this misfortune Vidya’s father experienced affected Vidya because
she and her brother were forced to live with her grandfather and their
traditional family, since her father’s brain got damaged from the attack. While
living in her grandfather’s house, she has to experience an environment, she
never had experienced. Like, women had to live apart from men in the house and
girls were meant to be married as soon as possible. The theme of this book is
that treating each other equally won’t result a bad ending or choice.
Additionally,
the theme of the book, treating each other equally won’t result a bad ending or
choice, is the theme of this book for many reasons. One of the reasons is
because in the book they described how Vidya’s parents raised both her and her
brother equally and that’s why Vidya didn’t feel like her parents loved her
brother more because he is a boy. Another reason that was the theme of the book
because Vidya’s parents also teaches them that women and men are equal and that
the caste system is unfair. I also agree with one of the evidence the author
put to portray the theme, which was about the caste system because an caste
system was unfair to people before since it never helped anyone back then or
now, in the present. Also the author showed evidence of how lowly people’s thoughts
were with the difference of being a man and a women, like in the book the
author described that how men would live above stairs, women would live below
downstairs in Vidya’s grandfather’s house. That showed how judgmental the
characters’ were in Vidya’s grandfather’s house, and how were not treated
equally.
Furthermore,
the main character, Vidya and I have traits that are common. One trait we both have
in common is that we are both caring. I think Vidya is caring because when her
father got attacked, and her mom was worried, and she cared for her mom by not
making her feel tensed anymore and also made her feel better, when she was also
worried too. Another trait we have in common is that we are both curious. I
think Vidya is curious because she really wanted to know about the war that was
going on, and kept on asking questions to her friend, Kitta until up to the
point she got to know about that the people once helped from her country (the
British), later cheated on them.
In Conclusion, the
theme really portrays this book, with giving a reader’s something to learn from
it. The theme actually makes me realize how wrong I was of how would I used to
think that treating each other’s equally didn’t really matter, but it actually
does because if you don’t treat others equally it often doesn’t lead up to an
good ending. The character, Vidya and I have many character traits in common
that gets me to relate with the main character and understand her more better.
I like how you explained theme multiple times in your paragraphs. I agree with your theme that everyone should be equal no matter the gender, race, religion, or whatever
ReplyDeleteIt was also nice how you compared the character, Vidya to yourself and gave evidence. Overall your response was very good, Naima.
I like the organization of your piece and I also like your thesis. The way you elaborated on your thesis made it stronger and more specific. My only critique is that you did a bit too much summarization at the beginning.
Delete