“Dating
is forbidden. Movie theaters are banned. Concerts are out lawed,” This quote
was from the article “Growing up in Saudi” by Karen Elliot House. The text
recently stated refers to the idea of how might women and men face their lives
in Saudi Arabia, of what kind of freedoms they are being limited too. In the
article there were many aspects of how there are strict religious limitations
that people in Saudi Arabia have to follow, especially the women out there. Women
must have to wear a head to toe covering called abayas in public, and marriages
are arranged by families, where the couples meet during the engagement the
first time. The limited freedom youngsters in Saudi are enduring is resulting
with some bloodshed being done, meaning murders were taking place. Also the
concern youngsters have is that all they do is wake up, take a shower, go to
school, come back for lunch, and do homework. After those events of their day
have past, they have nothing else to do. Young women’s are kept under family surveillance
until its marriage hasn’t taken place. But some changes that have occurred in
Saudi are the raise of more women driving and more jobs being worked by them. This
whole article was based on how tough life is in Saudi Arabia and what aspects
of it make it tough.
A
thought I had when reading this article was that; parents are giving their
children less freedom than they should but it is just creating hatred and rage
towards their mind, that later on turns into a worse situation, so what are
they gaining from limiting their freedom? I think parents in Saudi just limit their children’s
freedom because other people around them do it and this how this problem might
continue or start in many different houses. Also it just makes me feel pathetic on what the
thoughts people have in Saudi, because young girls having to be kept under surveillance
by family members until their married off, it just shows how insecure they are
with girls. If girls are treated like that then how are they going to face the
real world without help and support, if they get stuck alone somewhere? Parents’ not giving girls and boys freedom
will not make them able to stand up on their own feet and learn how to live aspects
of life. I think in the article at least created some hopes for the kids,
especially girls when it mentions how some women are at least getting to drive
and getting to go to work. Overall the life in Saudi Arabia has harsh and
strict limitations that I think need to be changed somehow.
I
feel lucky about the freedom I am receiving because after seeing the limited
freedoms children are receiving there seems way worse than I possibly could
imagine. I think we should all appreciate for the things we have right now
including the rights we have received from our parents because people are going
through worse situation then us, like the girls over there who are kept under surveillance,
and for people over there that have the same events occurring again and again in
their life. We should be glad for what we have and try to make and see a change
of the shallow thoughts people have in Saudi Arabia.
I liked how you connected the article to your own life and how you feel grateful you don't have the limitations that the people in saudi do.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the detail and evidence you used in your piece. I also really liked how you started your reading response with a quote and elaborated on that quote. All in all it was very good.
DeleteI liked that you included many examples of the limitations of people in Saudi Arabia. I also liked how you concluded your reading response with a general statement of how we should be appreciative of what we have.
ReplyDeleteI like how you included A LOT of detail and you made sure to connect all of the important details to the central idea.
ReplyDelete