Sunday, December 1, 2013

Reading Response- Is this story fair? Why/ Why not?

In the book, The Hunger Games by: Suzanne Collins, I think that the issues in this book, that also portrays story in a way, seems unfair to me. So far of what I have read in this book, shows many events taking place, and in some of those events, I think shows injustice, especially to the characters in this book. What I have read so far in The Hunger Game, it is about how every year there is a game played with real people, that are chosen from each district, and have to play by saving your own life, with also killing other tributes, who have also been selected. After there is one tribute alive, it becomes the Hunger Games winner. Some of the events that took place, portrays injustice in many ways, and the thoughts I have related to it verifies why it may seem this event portrays injustice.

One reason why I think the story of Hunger Games is unfair so far, is because, one of the events, which was when the main character's sister, Primrose got picked from district twelve to play for the Hunger Games. I think that is unfair because, the age of Primrose, in my view is the age where people are not mature enough to even realize what they are going to experience as a tribute, in the Hunger Games. Another reason I think this event portrays unfairness, is because even though Primrose does not want to go to nor her family, if her sister wouldn't have volunteered for her, Primrose would've had to still go, unwillingly. Based on this event the characters are forced to do something, that they do not want to do nor happy about it, which is unfair because the characters like Primrose, can't do any thing thier way.

Another reason why I think the story of Hunger Games is unfair so far is because, another event that makes it seem unfair, was when Katniss, the main character was having to feel uncomfortable, each time she was getting closer to the day it was actually hunger games. I noticed that by noticing the details of how first she gets taken away from Primrose to getting to meet her new stylist, Cinna. In my view, I think this is unfair because even not wanting to, why does Katinss have to feel uncomfortable, with the hunger games event she has to experience? I also think this is unfair because Katniss has to experience something she doesn't want to experience, but has no choice than facing it. That's unfair to Katniss since she can't follow what she wants to follow. Katiness has to stay away from Primrose, which is also unfair because, Katniss's will is to stay with Primrose, but that is not sadly happening in that way.

Overall, in the book The Hunger Games, has many events that portray some type of injustice, or not being fair. My thought in this statement of not being fair in some events, is that I think the environment in this book, has no space for the characters to make their own decisions, which eventually leads to the topic of unfairness.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a very good job writing this. You included many details and quotes. You did not just summarize this book, but still gave me a good synopsis about what the book is. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete